Week 4 Injury Report
Here are some notes from my reading since Tuesday and an injury list as of this morning.
Washington win over #3 USC was the 9th time since the debut of the coaches poll in 1950 that a team from a current BCS conference league went winless the previous year and then upset a ranked team the next year. In 1958 #3 Ohio St lost to a Northwestern team that was 0-9 in 1957 and that upset by Washington tied Northwestern for the higest ranked team that a previous years winless team knocked off.
The last time Southern Miss traveled to Big 12 country was 2006 and they upset Nebraska 21-17. Southern also has the nations 2nd longest win steak (next to Florida).
Ron Zook said before the season “if Martez Wilson does not lead out team in tackles at the end of the year, we are in trouble”. He lost Martez his best defensive player to injury last week for the season.
Navy had just 128 rush yards vs Pitt last week which was Navy’s lowest total in 4 years and Pitt did not even have a bye the week prior.
Here are key players from each school that will be missing this weekend:
- Arizona- TE Rob Gronkowski will RS this season with a back injury after being one of the frontrunners for the John Mackey Award (Nation’s best TE).
- Arizona St- 2007 Groza Winner K Thomas Weber will miss the next 5-6 weeks with a groin injury leaving the kicking duties to a freshman walk-on and a senior LB. Also starting DE James Brooks will be serving his final game of his 3 week suspension.
- California- The Golden Bears best defender CB Syd’Quan Thompson injured his back late in practice on Thursday and appears to be a gametime decision vs the Ducks.
- Oregon- My preseason Pac-10 1st Tm S Terrell (TJ) Ward is likely going to miss his third consecutive game this week vs Cal.
- Stanford- Starting RT Matt Kopa and DT Matt Masifilo will be missing from the Cardinal starting lineup again this week. Both have missed the last 2 games as well.
- USC- Pete Carroll has already deemed QB Matt Barkley and AA FS Taylor Mays ready to play vs Wash St at the Coliseum but it appears that starting OLB Malcolm Smith will miss here with an ankle injury.
- Washington- The Huskies get the return of DE Darrion Jones here after he’s been out almost the entire 1st month of the season with a knee injury.
- Washington St- The Cougars are once again decimated with injuries. I have already circled at least 6 players in my 2-deep on Washington State’s page in Phil Steele’s 2009 magazine which means that these guys are done for the season.
- Ohio St- RT Jim Cordle had a knee scope and will be out at least 2-3 more weeks.
- Michigan- S Mike Williams (ankle) and RB Brandon Minor (high ankle sprain) will both be game time decisions. C David Molk (broken foot), who was described as UM’s best OL by RR this week, will be out indefinitely.
- Penn St- LB’s Sean Lee (knee sprain) is out vs Iowa. LB Nathan Stupar (ankle) is questionable but the he’s replaced the L/2.75 gms Navarro Bowman (groin) is expected to return.
- Iowa- LT Bulaga (illness) is out vs PSU. WR Johnson-Koulianos (hamstring) and TE Moeaki (ankle) are doubtful.
- Illinois- LB Martez Wilson (neck surgery) is out for the season.
- Michigan St- C Joel Nitchman (knee) is expected to return after missing the L/2. RG J’Michael Deane (leg) will miss his 2nd straight game.
- Wisconsin- Starting C Moffitt & LG Nagy returned for their first action of the season vs Wofford. C Frederick (ankle) is out.
- Purdue- CB King (thigh) will return after missing the L/2. LG Reckman has been susp’d vs ND by the Big Ten for spearing in the NI game.
- Minnesota- CB Sherels (shoulder) is expected to return after missing the L/2.
- Northwestern- CB McManis (leg) will return after missing the L/2. CB Vaughn (leg) & RB Simmons (leg) are out.
- Notre Dame- WR Michael Floyd (collarbone) is out for the rest of the regular ssn. RB Armando Allen (ankle) will be a game time decision. FB James Aldridge (shoulder) is likely to miss at least 2 more weeks.
- East Carolina- RB Dominique Lindsay is doubtful with a shoulder injury. Starting SS Levin Neal & Nickel CB Emanuel Davis are expected to return to action this week. Both players had missed the last 2 games.
- Marshall- Saf John Saunders may miss the rest of the season with a neck injury.
- Memphis- Last season’s leading rusher Curtis Steele missed LW and is doubtful TW with a bruised knee. He is expected to return next week vs UCF.
- Tulane- Returning starters DL Reggie Scott & Saf Corey Sonnier will both see the field this week after missing the first 2 games due to suspensions.
- Tulsa- OT Tyler Holmes (14 sts LY) is out indefinitely with a broken leg. OG Clint Anderson is out with a lower leg injury. FS Charles Davis (3-yr starter) is out for the season with a knee injury.
- UAB- Safeties Chase Daniel & Ferson Stafford are both questionable with head injuries
- Boston College - LB Dominick LeGrander, who took over for Herzlich, is doubtful with head inj. RFr Nick Clancy will start. WR Ifeanyi Momah (#2 PS book) is expected to RS TY Spaziani said. He was out w/knee inj but is healthy again. He has been practicing with DL’s on the scout team.
- Clemson - Swinney said everyone who had the flu TW should be fine for the game.
LT Chris Hairston (sprained MCL) game time decision.
- Duke – Cutcliffe said QB Thaddeus Lewis will remain the starter but Sean Renfree will see time. RT Jarrod Holt might be in danger of losing his starting position after coach David Cutcliffe suggested there could be changes coming on the offensive line.
- Florida St - QB Christian Ponder said he is close to 100% but will be wearing a brace on his right knee vs USF.
DT Moses McCray (elbow) doubtful, DT Demonte McAllister (knee) is ??? and DT Justin Mincy still out w/knee inj.
- Georgia Tech - With starting DE Robert Hall ruled out of Saturday’s game, a lot of pressure will be on star end Derrick Morgan to get to Tar Heel quarterback T.J. Yates.
BB Jonathan Dwyer missed some practice TW, nursing a shoulder stinger but is expected to play.
- Maryland - “I havent lost one bit of faith in DaRel (Scott), but hes got to understand that comes with being a running back — you cant fumble the ball.” Friedgen said. S Jamari McCollough has missed the last two weeks with a high-ankle sprain. Theres an outside chance hell be back for the Rutgers game, but Clemson is a better bet the following week. LT Bruce Campbells will likely miss his third consecutive game this weekend with turf toe.
- Miami - DT Marcus Forston and DE Andrew Smith are out with lower extremity inj.
TE Richard Gordon (shlr) is ???
RB Lee Chambers (leg), DE Dyron Dye (knee) and OT Corey White (leg) all doubtful.
WR Aldarius Johsnon (groin) is ???
N Carolina – LS Trevor Stuart out year with torn ACL.
- NC State- Starters LT Jake Vermiglio and SS Clem Johnson have been cleared to play TW, as is bkup RB Jamelle Eugene
WR Owen Spencer (concussion) is out but Donald Bowens is back, had his 1st catch LW vs GW.
Starting LG Julian Williams will return after missing a game while battling the flu.
VirginIa- QB Jameel Sewell has won the starting job over Vic Hall and Marc Verica.
- Virginia Tech - Good chance starting CB Stephan Virgil will return vs Miami.
Wake Forest – TE Ben Wooster is out indefinitely with back inj.
RB Kevin Harris suffered a pulled groin inj vs Elon and is ??
Bkup S Junior Petit-Jean has been susp’d for the remainder of the year for violating team rules.
DE Zach Thompson was potentially in line for some playing time as a true freshman. But in the week prior to the Elon game, he suffered a shoulder injury in practice and that makes a redshirt season more likely.
- CINCINNATI– LB/DE Curtis Young had knee injury surgery and will be out for 3-6 weeks
- CONNECTICUT- QB Zach Fraser is out 2-3 weeks with a knee injury, Cody Endres will make his 2nd start vs Rhode Island.
TE Ryan Griffin battled for #1TE spot left NC with a back injury and he will miss his 2nd game vs Rhode Island.
WR Michael Smith did not play vs Baylor with a knee sprain but is probable
LB Scott Lutrus known as the leader of the defense hasn’t played the last 2 weeks with a neck stinger is questionable for Rhode Island, all indications show Edsall will hold him out til Pittsburgh. Kijuan Dabney will replace.
S Harris Agbor a reserve safety is out at least 4-5 weeks with a knee injury.
LB Sio Moore a reserve LB did not play LW he is day to day with hamstring injury and is questionable.
CB Dwayne Gratz did not play last weeek due to a knee injury and is questionable
S Harris Agbor is out 4-5 weeks with a knee injury
DT Beau Brunelli is suspended and will be out
FS Aaron Bagsby is suspended and is out
- LOUISVILLE— SS Terrence Simien has a lacerated kidney and will be out indefinitely
- RUTGERS— QB Tom Savage suffered a head injury, Schiano says he is 50-50
OL Caleb Ruch has a leg injury but is probable
LB Marcus Witherspoon has a leg injury and is questionable
RB Kordell Young missed the 1st two but is probable today
- SYRACUSE— FR DE Brandon Sharpe was helped off field after he sustained a concussion and will be day-to-day
- USF— WR Jessie Hester is questionable with an ankle injury
QB Evan Landi has a shoulder injury and is questionable
CB Quenton Washington has an ankle injury and is questionable
RB Jamar Young has a knee injury and will be out to at least October
QB Matt Grothe injured his knee and will be out for the season!!!
- ALABAMA- All-SEC WR Julio Jones has missed most of the last 2 games after suffering a knee injury vs FIU. He could have played last week vs North Texas but was held out for precautionary reasons and is expected to play vs Arkansas this week.
- FLORIDA- UF’s receiving corps has been decimated by injuries this year. Carl Moore has missed the 1st 3 games with a back injury and is still out indefinitely. True freshman Andre Debose (PS#2) was expected to contribute heavily to the team this year but was forced to redshirt with a torn hamstring. WR Deonte Thompson missed the Tennessee game with a hamstring injury and is expected to return this week along with Riley Cooper who suffered a pinched nerve in his neck vs Tennessee, but both are not 100%. All-American MLB Brandon Spikes missed playing time last week with an Achilles injury and is expected to play this week at Kentucky but still isn’t 100%. Head coach Urban Meyer said about 35 players have missed time the last 2 weeks with illness, so there is a possibility that other players could be last minute scratches.
- GEORGIA- LB Darius Dewberry who has missed the last 2 games with a groin injury is expected to play vs Arizona St this week. The LB’s were shuffled after his injury and will go back to their opening day lineup for this game finally. The Dawgs held prolific Oklahoma St to just 307 total yds in the opener, and they have allowed 456 ypg in the last 2 games.
- LSU- DE Pep Levingston who has missed the last 2 games with a knee injury is still out this week vs Miss St.
- TENNESSEE- Starting LG Vladimir Richard will miss this week’s game vs Ohio and converted TE Aaron Douglas will make his first career start for the Vols. Starting WR Quintin Hancock is out for a few weeks after suffering a broken jaw vs Florida. Good thing ‘08 starter Gerald Jones is finally healthy (he had his 1st 2 rec of the year last week vs Florida).
- VANDERBILT- This is one team that has certainly been snakebitten by injuries this year. Two weeks ago they lost their starting FS Ryan Hamilton and starting RT James Williams for the year. Last week their starting NB Jamie Graham suffered a concussion that will force him to miss this week’s game vs Rice. Finally some good news, ‘08 starting RB Jared Hawkins who has missed the first 3 games with a foot injury will finally play this week and his replacement, true freshman Zac Stacy (PS#155) who missed time last week with an ankle injury is expected to play vs Rice also.
- Akron- QB Chris Jacquemain has been suspended or the rest of the season. His backup Matt Rodgers will make his 2nd straight start, but unlike last week when he had just 2 days to prepare, had all week to practice.
- Kent St – QB Giorgio Morgan is doubtful and True Frosh Spencer Keith, will make his 2nd straight start. Keith threw for 255 yds (65.6%)with a 2-1 ratio vs Iowa St.
- Boise State - RB DJ Harper is out for the year with a torn ACL. While a backup to Jeremy Avery, Harper was Boise’s leading rusher with 284 yds (6.5 ypc, 94.7 ypg) & 3 TDs.
- Fresno State – Starting S Lorne Bell (knee) missed the Bulldogs’ game with Boise State and is considered doubtful for this week’s game with Cincinnati.
- San Jose State - Starting DE Mohamed Marah (labium tear) is out for the year with season-ending shoulder surgery.
- Air Force- Starting QB Tim Jefferson who sprained his ankle in the 1st quarter last week against New Mexico will play this week but won’t be 100%. WR Kyle Halderman will miss his 4th consecutive game with a broken collarbone which he suffered in early august.
- BYU- The Cougars will get starting FS Scott Johnson back this week after missing last week’s game against FSU. Bronco Mendenhall calls Johnson the QB of the secondary. However, starting DT Russell Tialavea will miss 2-4 weeks with a sprained MCL.
- Colorado St. - Pre-season 1st-tm MWC OG Shelley Smith has missed the first three games with a severe sprain ankle and will miss this week’s game vs BYU.
- New Mexico- The Lobos will welcome back one of their leaders on defense in S Ian Clark who has missed the last two games with a shoulder injury. Clark is also an exceptional punt-returner leading the MWC in PR last year averaging 19.7 per return. QB Donovan Porterie will get the start again at QB after BR Holbrook succumbed to mono this week.
- San Diego St.- The Aztecs leading rusher from a year ago RB Attiyah Henderson will miss his 4th consecutive game with a cracked bone in his back. Meanwhile, This season’s leading rusher RB Brandon Sullivan will miss this week vs Air Force after injuring his knee against Idaho.
- UNLV- Starting WR Rodelin Anthony will miss this weeks game after suffering a concussion during last week’s game. Anthony already has 3 TD receptions this year. Starting LG Sean Tesoro will miss the rest of the season with a broken ankle.
- Utah- The MWC’s leading-rusher RB Matt Asiata will be near 100% this week after playing last week against Oregon at what Kyle Whittingham said 60%.
- Wyoming- True Freshman Austin Carta-Samuels has been named the starting QB for the Cowboys against UNLV. He will become the first true freshman to start at QB for Wyoming since 1974. True Freshman RB Alvester Alexander will also get his first start.
- FAU – WR Cortez Gent was suspended indefinitely, and his replacement, Lester Jean, is questionable with the flu. A pair of tight ends may also miss as Jason Harmon (flu) and Jamari Grant (ankle) are questionable. DL Jamere Johnsson (knee) and Andy Czuprynski (ankle) are listed as probable.
- FIU – Safeties Ash Parker (knee) and Jeremiah Weatherspoon (hamstring) are doubtful.
TE Dudley LaPorte (JC transfer) continues to wait for approval from the NCAA Clearinghouse. QB Paul McCall (knee) is expected to start, although he wore a brace the second half of LW game at Rutgers.
- ULL – The Cajuns haver a load of question marks this week. On the o-line, C Chris Fisher (shoulder) is questionable and backup OT Colin Windsor (knee) doubtful. ULL’s secondary may be without SS Chris Richard (ankle) doubtful; FS Gerren Blount (leg) doubtful, both of who have started at times this year
- Middle Tennessee – RB Phillip Tanner out indefinitely (knee) and has not played the last 2 games.
- North Texas - CB Antoine Bush (knee) will not play but is scheduled to return Oct. 10 vs. ULL.
QB Riley Dodge and OT Victor Gill expected to return after missing the Alabama game.
- Western Kentucky - QB Brandon Smith (shoulder sprain, day-to-day) is questionable, and the Topper also lost back up QB Courtney Delcourt (ACL) earlier this week as he is out for the season. In addition, WR Jake Gaebler (hamstring) will not play.