Who Will Win the Top Conference Games of 2011?
The last couple of years I have put up a poll for everyone to pick who would win each conference game. I found these results fascinating prior to the year. When you vote in the poll, it tabulates the current % of votes for each team in each individual game. Here are the results of the fan poll from 2010.
Two years ago you guys scored a low of 121 points, which was 11 points lower than GamePlan. Some of the conferences and divisions you did the best in were the SEC East (0 pts!), SEC West (4 pts) and the Mountain West (8 pts). Last year you guys finished right behind Lindy’s and ATS Consultants for 4th place with 116 points.
We put the conference polls up a couple of weeks ago for this year’s games and this is a great way for me to gauge how the public views each game. When you vote you have the entire conference schedule in front of you and the home team is capitalized. To vote you do need to register your e-mail address but this is just to make sure there is no stuffing of the ballot box.
Here are the top games from each conference and how the public views each game to date. Keep in mind these percentages will change between now and the start of the season.
- LSU (34%) at Alabama (66%). In what could be not only one of the biggest SEC games this year but also a national title elimination game, 66% of you have the Tide getting revenge from last year’s loss.
- Arkansas (14%) at Alabama (86%). First road start for Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson and it comes against the best defense in college football. 86% of you have Roll Tide in this one.
- South Carolina (46%) at Arkansas (54%). Last year the Gamecocks had not much to play for with the SEC East Title game vs Florida on deck and lost 41-20 at home. This year the game could mean much more and so far it’s a tight race.
- Arkansas (20%) at LSU (80%). SEC West Division title implications could be at stake and 80% of you have the Tigers getting revenge on the Razorbacks.
- South Carolina (51%) at Georgia (49%). SEC East Title could be on the line here in just the second week of the season. Very tight race and as of now 51% of you have the Gamecocks getting a huge road win.
- Nebraska (38%) at Wisconsin (62%). Welcome to the Big Ten Nebraska. Your present for your first conference game is a road test in Madison against what will probably be the preseason favorite to win the conference now that Russell Wilson will be behind center.
- Ohio St (12%) at Nebraska (88%). The Buckeyes could get four of the key players back from suspension in this one but the Huskers should be sky high for their first Big Ten home game and 88% of you have them winning.
- Michigan St (8%) at Nebraska (92%). Key game in the Legends division but as of right now it looks like Nebraska is your clear favorite to take the crown.
- Penn St (8%) at Wisconsin (92%). With Ohio St possibly being down a notch or two this season the Badgers and Nittany Lions look to take advantage and the Leaders division title could be on the line for this one in the last week of the regular season.
- Ohio St (54%) at Michigan (46%). The Buckeyes have owned one of the nation’s best rivalries as of late but the tides could be shifting with OSU’s off the field problems and UM getting a new coach. Your vote to date agrees with it being very tight.
- Texas A&M (16%) at Oklahoma (84%). Two of the preseason favorites to win the Big 12 title collide in Norman where the last time here the Sooners won 65-10. Last year Texas A&M got revenge for the beatdown but now 84% of you expect the Sooners to return the favor this year.
- Texas (3%) vs Oklahoma (97%). Two years ago I would have never thought to see either one of these teams with a 97% vote but this year with the Longhorns off a 5-7 season and the Sooners being the preseason favorite to win the National title, the majority of you expect the Sooners to take home the Red River Rivalry for a 2nd str year.
- Oklahoma (64%) at Oklahoma St (36%). Last year with the Big 12 South title on the line, the Sooners won a shootout in Stillwater. This year they have to travel again and right now 64% of you have them winning Bedlam for a 9th straight year.
- Texas (17%) at Texas A&M (83%). The Aggies have actually taken 3 out of the last 5 in this series. A BCS bowl bid could be on the line here for not only the Aggies but the Longhorns as well who should be much improved.
- Oklahoma St (28%) at Texas A&M (72%). Last year the Aggies imploded with TO’s down the stretch and lost 38-35. This year 72% say they will get revenge.
- Florida St (76%) at Clemson (24%). The Noles follow the OU game with a huge road test in Death Valley which could determine the Atlantic Division. 76% of you have them beating Clemson despite the visitor being just 1-8 in this rivalry.
- Clemson (15%) at Virginia Tech (85%). Actually one of the tougher games for the Hokies on their favorable 2011 slate. 85% of you think they kick off their ACC schedule in style.
- Miami, Fl (20%) at Virginia Tech (80%). A week after taking on Clemson, the Hokies welcome the Canes where the last time here they beat #9 Miami 31-7 as a rare home underdog. 80% of you expect more of the same.
- Miami, Fl (5%) at Florida St (95%). Last year the Noles embarrassed the Canes with a 45-17 beatdown on the road. This year Miami looks for revenge but 95% of you don’t think it will happen.
- Miami, Fl (44%) at North Carolina (56%). Tight race in this one between two of the better teams in the Coastal division. Right now 56% of you have the Tar Heels coming out on top.
- Oregon (33%) at Stanford (67%). Probably the biggest game in the Pac-12 this upcoming season. Last year Stanford jumped out to a big early lead before the Ducks came back to win by 21. This year surprisingly 67% say the Cardinal come out on top.
- USC (11%) at Oregon (89%). The Ducks have dominated the Trojans the last two years winning by a combined 100-52. This year 89% of you expect more of the same.
- USC (51%) at Arizona St (49%). This one could decide the North division title even though the Trojans are ineligible to play in the Pac-12 title game. Just a couple votes could sway the voting here.
- Stanford (74%) at USC (26%). The Cardinal have beaten the Trojans the last two times in the Coliseum and 74% of you think they make it 3 in a row!
- Oregon St (7%) at Oregon (93%). Conference title implications for either team or both have been at stake in each of the last 3 years and expect more of the same this year but 93% of you do think the Ducks make it 4 in a row in the Civil War!
- West Virginia (48%) at USF (52%). Big East title could be on the line in this December 1st matchup and so far only a few votes are separating the teams.
- Pittsburgh (36%) at West Virginia (64%). Backyard Brawl with two of the top teams in the Big East. The Mountaineers have won the last two and a majority think they make it 3 straight.
- USF (31%) at Pittsburgh (69%). Huge early conference game for both teams and the winner here will have the inside track along with West Virginia for the conference title.
- Connecticut (6%) at West Virginia (94%). The defending Big East Champ Huskies start off the conference schedule with a tough road test at WV and 94% say their title defense does not get off to a good start.
- Cincinnati (13%) at Pittsburgh (87%). The Bearcats will be much improved and have two weeks to prepare but 87% say the Panthers get the key home win.
- TCU (24%) at Boise St (76%)
- Air Force (6%) at Boise St (94%)
- TCU (74%) at Air Force (26%)
- Houston (55%) at Tulsa (45%)
- UCF (33%) at Southern Miss (67%)
- SMU (35%) at Tulsa (65%)
- Fresno St (26%) at Nevada (74%)
- Hawaii (30%) at Nevada (70%)
- Fresno St (30%) at Hawaii (70%)
- Western Michigan (33%) at Toledo (67%)
- Northern Illinois (26%) at Toledo (74%)
- Temple (15%) at Ohio (85%)
- Troy (65%) at FIU (35%)
- FIU (75%) at ULM (25%)
- Middle Tennesee (18%) at Troy (82%)
Also make sure to vote on who you think will win each non-conference game on the homepage. Hundreds of you have already voted on the games and I will be doing a check of the top non-conference games later this week.